Monday, 23 July 2012

Just Observations

It’s more than obvious now….that nothing much political can happen either in the Senate or House, in a political year. So I have a suggestion……we just do business in odd years, when no elections come up. The guys and gals can all stay home for the election year, and chat up things with their district or state. Got a crisis? Well….just let it simmer….like we are going doing with the postal situation, the economic situation, or the military budget situation.

If you are relying on some idiot sitting a thousand miles away in Washington to fix all the issues of your local high school and conduct the standards for your “Johnny Junior”, then you’ve mostly given up managing the local school district, and you really don’t need a board of education at the county level, or at the state level. Fire the guys and just pocket the tax money required. I’m guessing that you might realize that the 1,000 mile solution just isn’t on your top five hundred solutions to a better education system.

After sitting and watching the NCAA step into the Penn State mess, and issue out their fines and punishments….my final conclusion is that they only went half-way. Let’s also step into the arts department, the physics department, and all the other departments…..and cut their scholarships as well. And maybe the actual department heads ought to be penalized with cut funding here and there. It seems like more than the football heads were screwing up and the whole leadership chain of the university was not the kind of people you’d want to have around. And as for the football coach? It’s just another reason why no coach ought to stay around for more than five years.

I sat and watched an hour of Bio-TV last night….covering an actual murder in Florida from the 1990s. Apparently, the killer was a chemist expert who made various drug cocktails from scratch. Somewhere in their investigation, they came to find that he traveled with a friend across the US….picking up hitch-hikers, and handing out free cookies loaded with psychedelic ingredients. The cops didn’t care about that admission, but I sat there in shock. Over four days….they probably picked up a dozen folks, and you just don’t know what developed. Jack Junior might have been dropped off and then jumped off some bridge ten minutes later. Wanda might have been dropped off and then walked into a gas station to bash the owner in the head with a hammer. George might have been dropped off and just wandered off into the woods to die of starvation eventually. Just another reason to never hitch-hike with anyone.

I finally wised up and bought a hearing aid. This morning….my first full day….I came to realize that I’d been missing all these various car noises….the timing being off or the muffler being loose. I also rediscovered escalators having a humming noise as you ride up. These were all precious little noises that I’ve probably been missing for a decade….at least.

Some reports indicate around twenty-one folks with burnt feet….after attending some kinda inspirational “you-have-power” type seminar out in San Jose (“Unleash the Power Within” was the actual event). The guys running the mess had a bunch of regular charcoals set up and apparently still on maximum heat (not the low heat that normal fire-walkers would take). The authorities report a number of second and third degree burns via the local hospital. Frankly, my own observation….if you are that bad off and need some unleashing of inspiration and power….I’d suggest you drive home and just paint the garage on a 98-degree afternoon, or just haul some hay….it’d work just as well. The sad thing here….is some folks paid $350 to walk the charcoals……when you could have done in the backyard for $4 (Wal-Mart number two brand)….just make sure you let them simmer for two hours before walking.

1 comment:

Don said...

Roy, I guess like most things these days hitchhiking isn't what it used to be. When I was growing up in the late 1030s and the 1940s hitchhiking was preferable to walking everywhere, so I hitched a lot of rides. In the early 1950s I hitchhiked from Tennessee to Yellowstone Park for a summer job there at Fishing Bridge Lodge. When it was time to go back to college I hitchhiked back to Tennessee. Going there and coming back, which took about a week each way, I never stayed in a motel or anyone's home. I slept in the vehicle of whoever picked me up, or else just on the ground beside the highway. The only time I slept indoors was one night in the jail in Sinclair, Wyoming, when the sheriff picked me up and allowed me to sleep in his jail that night.