Wednesday, 3 October 2012

Five-Mississippi Versus Ten-Mississippi

After I came back from my Germany trip a few weeks ago....I came to notice this odd change with the METRO system. When the subway car now comes to a complete stop at the station.....it used to open the doors at a count of one-Mississippi, two-Mississippi, three-Mississippi, four-Mississippi, then magically open on five-Mississippi.

Well....the count shifted.  It now goes up to Ten-Mississippi now.

I've ridden the METRO eight to ten times now since I returned, and it's the same on each trip.  So far, no one has been able to explain this doubling of the Mississippi's.

So I paused and pondered over this.  It might relate to safety although I can't think of any rational decision to double up on Mississippi.  Maybe it helps us old guys get up and get closer to the door before it slams open for twelve seconds, then warns you, and closes three seconds later.

Maybe, it's supposed to help the poor engineer guy.  Maybe, it's a computer glitch built into the system that they can't override anymore.

Or maybe, it's a chance for gals flashing us older guys to have five more extra seconds of flash.  You just don't know.

The thing is....I'm now wasting ten more Mississippis on average each day.....if I use the train.  Thankfully, I'm mostly a bus guy.  

No comments: