Sunday, 17 November 2013

Senses

In the real world, there are five senses.  Folks from science and practical common sense agree on this....oddly enough, without much argument.

This week, I was doing a bit of reading and came up on a scientology article....where their founder....L. Ron Hubbard.....came to a conclusion that man actually had 57 senses.

Course, this got me curious.  It's hard to imagine a vast number beyond the common five that we all agree upon.

Well....he threw in motion of self.  It's an odd one.....although one can sense one's own motion.

He threw in heartbeat, along with internal temperature and external temperature.  How they fit into senses.....I have no idea.

Joint position?

Rhythm?

Volume?

Sound pitch?

Awareness of importance?  Awareness of unimportance?

A sense over Reality?

I got to a point by the end of the list of just laughing.  Maybe if I'd had some open mindedness or booze.....maybe I could go and think like this.

Course, I came to awareness of location.  For a Bama guy, this is a key sense and I'd agree with this one.  We tend to go off into some wooded area....like Bankhead National Forest, and get lost.  Then after three hours, we always tell our hunting buddy Gus.....I think this road leads on out, and we just stay on it for an hour or two, and get recovered from that lost feeling.  The truth?  Maybe we have an internal sense of awareness of location, or just damn lucky.

Finally, we come to this odd sense that he suggests.....awareness of appetite.  I pondered over this a while, and came to agree.....when I'm hungry.....I'm fully aware of it, and basically, I can sense it.  It wouldn't matter if I were at some one-star diner in Red Bay, or an airport $16 hot-dog shop, or sitting on the edge of some Italian side street in Rome where nothing on the menu makes sense but I'll just wave a finger at something and take what I get.

L. Ron was probably a bit on the crazy side, but he might have some points with these 57 other senses.  Sadly, common sense isn't listed by the smart guys, or L. Ron.  Of all the senses, I tend to list common sense at number one.

No comments: