After viewing the Trump 'fall' this weekend....over McCain's status or non-status as a war-hero...I've sat and pondered over what the lesson is over this episode.
Basically, if you ever decide to run for President as a Republican.....there are at least twelve things you need to admit to or swear an oath to.....if you intend to get 'respect'.
1. Senator John McCain is a war-hero. So are forty-odd million guys around America who've served during various war periods. Even if you were only in uniform for six months and served chow at some Oregon Army post during the conflict.....you are a war-hero. Reservists, active-duty.....it doesn't matter. Just admit John McCain was a war-hero and get over the rest of the discussion. Yeah.....he's not the kind of politician that you'd generally like and he should have spent time in jail for his savings and loan corruption business, but that's another topic.
2. An eye for an eye. Yep, you have to say capital punishment is acceptable in your book. It doesn't matter if witnesses admit later they weren't at the scene or that prosecution teams use a lot of unfair tactics in the court-room. Republicans expect their guy to agree on execution status for any guy who kills another.
3. Be anti-drug! It doesn't matter if the drug war is a failure and drugs are just as plentiful now as they were in the 1980s. It doesn't matter if the public sentiment is for loose marijuana laws. It doesn't matter if you can tax legal marijuana and dump millions into a state's economy. A real Republican stands against any legalization.
4. You must be pro-military. Don't suggest anything less than that. If we buy a tank that won't run for more than 300 hours without major repairs....well, you still need to support the military. If we recruit dimwit high school kids who can only read at the 8th grade level, well, you still need to support the military. If we get doped up and end up in some Libyan or Syrian civil war.....well, you still need to support the military. If we hire up a bunch of contractors to do work that costs double what it'd cost via military personnel.....well, you still need to support the military.
5. You must be religious. It'd be preferred that you weren't Catholic, LDS or Jewish....but anything after that is ok. Just pretend to attend some church once a month, and thank the Lord for something in every speech. Without religion, you just can't win as a Republican.
6. Admit lust and sex are never to be discussed in public. If you got into some weird relationship with a bar-gal from Tulsa, or your wife has some bondage-like tattoo drawings on her body.....you've screwed up your chances as a Republican. If you got engaged years ago to some topless dancer but then dissolved the relationship....well, it's too late to consider a Republican opportunity in life. It's ok to be gay and Republican.....as long as you never hint that you are gay in any public forum, and usually stick to a anti-gay agenda.
7. Don't be wicken. Any hint of a witch or witchcraft background, and your Republican status is dissolved. Don't even admit that you go to witchcraft theme movies.
8. Be successful in jobs and money-making. If you've been through bankruptcy court once or had a fantastic amount of debt....forget about being a Republican.....it'll never happen.
9. Admit that Reagan and Lincoln were the greatest Republicans of all time. If you suggest Coolidge was number one.....you just lost the whole thing. Even if Coolidge did dozens of quiet but brilliant things....it doesn't matter.
10. In any conversation over evolution and creationism.....you need to harp that evolution is just a theory....over and over. If you ever suggest that evolution is slightly above creationism.....you just lost your status as a Republican.
11. In any discussion over guns, you need to state that the right to a gun is absolute. If you ever suggest.....in any public forum.....that certified crazy people ought not have the right to a gun.....you just lost your status as a Republican.
12. In any discussion over taxes.....you need to harp on the need for tax reform. To suggest that things are perfectly Ok and we don't need tax reform.....would dissolve your status as a Republican. Of course, you never say what this reform would be, who it would help (usually companies), and how it'd ever pass in both the House and Senate.
The sad thing here....is that Democrats also have their dozen or so themes, that you must repeat.....to be a good Democrat.
Sunday, 19 July 2015
There was an odd part of the Tennessee Muslim shooter's story (Muhammad Youssef Adbulazeez). He finished his electrical engineer degree in the spring of 2013.
What he did after that is kinda interesting.....he applied and was accepted for an internship with TVA (the Tennessee Valley Authority).....the electrical company that runs both hydroelectric and nuclear energy throughout Alabama and Tennessee.
To work with TVA, because it is a government organization....you require a security clearance. No one says much over whether this was a Secret clearance or a Top Secret Clearance. At some point in the entry process for internship.....there was a drug-test attached to the clearance episode. Nineteen days into the internship, which would have eventually turned into a real job offer and real money (probably over $100,000 for an electrical engineer who has twenty years with TVA).....the drug test he took came back positive.
No one says much of this....or what drug was identified. They called Muhammad into the office and just said that the internship was finished. He was let go.
The problem at this point is that where ever you go for the remainder of your life....working for some commercial company.....they might get a government contract and suddenly task you for a project which requires a security clearance. This drug episode would come up. If you were smoking pot on a regular basis and don't intend to quit....the private company will eventually wake up and realize your value on gov't projects is zero.
In the early part of 2013.....he must have realized that the internship was the key job that he was going to work at.....asked some questions.....and realized that sixty days out....just quit smoking pot or using whatever drugs he was using. He didn't realize the impact.
So, it's done. Well.....there's this odd alternate scenario.
You see.....if the drug test hadn't come back as a positive....he would have gone through the internship in Cleveland, Tennessee. Muhammad would have gone onto one or two junior positions and eventually worked himself perhaps in a decade to the nuke plant in Brown's Ferry. There, with his security clearance and job requirements.....he would have been in a great position to disable the nuke plant, cause a massive leak, and endanger literally tens of thousands living in the local area....because of his religious fanatical beliefs.
Sadly, in a way.....we are better off with this nutcase killing the five Marines and Sailors.....than possibly killing tens of thousands of people with some radiation episode in Brown's Ferry years down the road.
I'm still waiting for the news media to figure this out.