One could probably write a 1,000-page book on how Trump got to this stage today, but I will simplify it to a degree and list the five obvious things that I see.
1. For decades, politics has been behaving more or less like some reality show.....whether we grasp it or not. Over the past eight years with President Obama appearing almost every four weeks on some comedy show.....the behavior and public act was noticeable by the public. Bush to a degree....perhaps less than Obama.....did the same thing.
Trump woke up and figured the whole script and production angle out. It was straight out of regular reality shows already being produced. All he had to do was get the right production team around him....stage the fake speeches and threats....and treat all of this political stuff as fake. The public bought into it one-hundred-percent.
2. Treat everyone to a WWE-wrestling-type act. All of the fake stuff from the Republicans and Democrats over the past eight years? It was all soap-opera stuff or WWE-wrestling scripts. Trump figured that out.
3. It doesn't take a rocket-scientist to be President. If you look at the talents of Bush and Obama, with their resumes in front of you prior to assuming the office....neither were exactly rocket-scientist material. The public accepted that and Trump blazed away with his regular skills. Presently, I think a barber or transmission mechanic could probably accomplish as much as Bush or Obama.....so why not Trump?
4. Trump settled his speeches and talks into regular understandable terms. He's like the neighbor next door.....or like in Tim Allen's Home Improvement character....Wilson. Wilson knows everything but only in small doses that are understandable. Wilson is friendly. Wilson wants to be a good neighbor. Wilson never intimidates people. Wilson can offer simple advice that doesn't take more than two minutes to lay out. Trump is....Wilson.
5. Finally, Trump is a New Yorker. New Yorkers are different from normal people. They want to tell you something....without a lot of $100 words, or science-gimmicks, or fake opera stories. New Yorkers are blunt....but if you got into a serious problem....they'd bend over backwards to fix your issue. In a sense, we haven't had a New Yorker since Teddy Roosevelt.