Once upon a time....folks got daily news from: ABC, Bloomberg, CBS, CNN, Daily Beast, Huffington Post, MSNBC, Fox News, L.A. Times, New Republic, Wall Street Journal, New York Times, The Guardian, The NY Post, The Daily Mail, Washington Post, Twitter, and Facebook.
At some point, folks woke up from some nap, and realized that it's not really news. Oh, there's a mixture here.....8.5-percent facts, 10-percent event news, and the rest....mostly slanted and creative fiction-fact. Fiction-fact? Well....that's where you hype up your opinion and blend it as a news item but it's really not worth talking about.
So, here's the sad thing. In an average day, that 10-minute stop you have at the local Chevron Gas Station is probably the only place where you going to get the three or four stories that might really matter to you.
Fred, the local attendant, will chat with you about several different stories:
1. The local bank got robbed by two transsexual guys/gals and took $3,000. They were both dressed like one of those Kardashian women. You ask which one, and Fred responds with Khloe. You ask which one is that, and Fred just looks at you in a daze.
2. Some local teacher got caught with a 18-year old high school kid. Prosecutor is talking about six years in prison. You ask if she was a 'hottie' and Fred responds with a wink.
3. A fight broke out at a local bar-b-q.....mostly three women who met up and discovered that they were all dating the same guy....the cook at the bar-b-q. You ask if anyone was hurt.....Fred responds that two of the gals required an ambulance....but the gal on the ambulance crew arrived and noted that she'd been dating the bar-b-q cook as well, and started a fresh fight with the survivor gal.
4. Some minister got fired from the local church for spending $4,000 on some fake ministry trip to Iuka, Mississippi. You ask Fred how you'd ever spend $4,000 in Iuka, and he hints that some trashy trailer-park whore was involved and some Deacon's wife walked in on the mess (she was supposed to be the one-and-only for the minister). Fred hints that there might be a couple more ladies from the church within this love-ring of the minister.
5. Leroy such-and-such.....some guy of the community who was regarded as crazy....was hit by some speed-boat while in the local river....while sitting on a rubber tube of some type. Funeral services will be held at such-and-such church. His kin folks are looking for donations because Leroy hadn't had a regular job since that trucking accident in 1982.
6. The Winkler hay barn burned down last night. Cops looking for a suspicious vehicle seen nearby.
Here's the honest truth. For roughly fifty percent of America....the trash news put out by the sources I listed at the top....really don't matter to the regular humble guy.....working hard to just pay his living and take care of himself, his family and pay taxes.
This is the guy who'd prefer to hear the 7AM local news and find out about what's happening within 20 miles of his house.....rather than 3,000 miles away in some Syrian battle-zone.
These are the people who've never met Hillary Clinton, Donald Trump, or even the governor of the state. Most of these people will tell you that the most big-name person they ever met....was some Playboy model from 1988 who showed up at some gun-show in Nashville. You got a signed photo of her and still have it in a locked cabinet (where the wife can't see it).
It really isn't just fake news....it's about 3,000-percent of news that is more or less of no value to the typical American. Why filter in or out this extra data?
We are in an age where the Chevron guy probably can be our one source of news, and that's all we need.