I won't say that voting is broke, but there's something wrong with the process, and my trust in accuracy is fairly challenged. So, I'd like to fix it.....and these are my ten suggestions:
1. A free picture ID provided by the state government, that has nothing to do with a driver's license. You can have the license bureau in the county produce it.....but it should be a totally different item....good for booze control, identification at banks and drug stores, and requiring you produce one time only....your birth certificate.
2. Dump absentee ballot opportunities unless you are an invalid or US military outside of the country.
3. Anyone identifying a dead person having voted in an election....gets a fifty-dollar check from the county....out of their own funds. Call it a death tax in reverse.
4. Discovering anyone who voted in two counties or two states? A complete review by a state committee, and then a mandatory fine of $10,000, with total lose of voting privileges across all fifty states for a twenty-year period. If you can't pay the fine, then you mandated to show up every Sunday and fill one-hundred sand-bags for one year.
5. Open county voting at one central location for 30 days prior to the actual voting day. I would even open this location for an entire Saturday and Sunday prior to the election.....to allow folks as much possibility to vote.
6. Dump all electronic voting.
7. Establish a mental IQ standard and if you can't pass at least that minimum standard....you aren't registered to vote. You can make the standard first-grade-level.....if you want....but you have to be able to grasp what you are doing.
8. Any candidate who dies up until 72 hours prior to the final election day.....must be removed from the ballot. After that point, let folks vote for the dead guy if they want to but you can't allow a dead guy to assume office.
9. Once a guy has left prison and done his probation period.....give him his voting rights back.
10. Let all illegals know that if they've submitted their citizenship papers or visa-request, and they attempt to vote as a non-American.....they will be refused citizenship for twenty years. Toss in a fine of $10,000 as well.....to be paid prior to leaving the country.