Sunday, 4 October 2026

My 'Debanking' Story

 Back around 13 years ago....I held a investment portfolio account (I won't say the company's name, but it's a top five 'player').  

I had my account listed with a APO address (since living Germany retired).  

One day....I had a email from the organization....saying I had 30 days to close my account. No reason given.  I spent around three hours that afternoon....trying to establish WHY I was being 'debanked'.  The five or six individuals I ended up talking to...could not readily explain the situation.

So, I thought...this is a IT-support problem....so I used their contact number there.  The IT-guy (American) took one look at the file, and in 20 seconds explained....the company had adapted to a ONLY-US-address situation.  Beyond that....he could not fix or resolve the mess.

The APO address?  Treated like a German-state.  

It took about an hour to find a financial organization that was military-friendly, and ten minutes to open an account.  The debanking company?  I left with no problems/issues.  I actually left with 10 cents left in the account.

The odd thing....still today....monthly, from the debanking crew....I get a email monthly about my account being  'open' with ten cents of value in it.  

No comments: