Thursday 27 April 2023

My Security Clearance Review Story

 From the early 1980s....to around 2009....I was in the clearance-required situation, and a review had to occur every five years.  

Other than spending near three hours filling out the form papers....I didn't ever think it was a big deal.

You'd wrap up the paperwork....some security guy would validate the first step, and then six to nine months would pass....with the review 'stamped' and a new five-year period approved.

At some point around 2006, I submitted my papers three months before it ran out.  The security guy processed it and it went on.   

Around six months....near the end of 2006, I asked for a status.  Nothing came.  

Two months passed, I asked for another status (now into Feb 2007).  Nothing came.  

By mid-summer, I was up to eleven months since submission (the longest ever for me).  I asked....any problems?  No.  

Around four more month pass....so I'm up to 15 months since submission.  Now they kinda admit.....they lost my paperwork.  So everything had to be re-generated from scratch.  I was at this point of a full year 'late'.  The security folks basically wrote a waiver form (not wanting to discuss how they lost the paperwork).

Toward the very end of 2008....it finally came back approved.  

Where my original paperwork went?  Anyone's guess.  

No comments: