Tuesday 30 January 2024

Relationships Story

 Yesterday, I watched a podcast, and the main focus was economics/finance...but the guy got onto the topic of dating, and if you should develop a relationship with a heavily-in-debt person.  

Generally, the question is....if you were around age 25-to-30....having met up with a gal graduate of some college and working, would it be a no-go situation if you figured out her debt is $80,000 (and it's not a house debt)?

Today versus 1980s? That's really the discussion.  

I might have had two or three filters in the 1980s for dating.  In the 2024 era....if I were 25....there's going to be twenty-odd filters.

Yeah, I'm likely crossing off some gal with a college debt of $50,000 or more. 

Yeah, I'm likely crossing off the extreme view of reality gal.

Yeah, I'm crossing off someone who bought a $75,000 new car last year, and has a 8-year payment plan.

Yeah, I'm crossing off the gal who spends four hours a day on social media.

This brings me the consequence....where there might be twenty-million men and women in America today who are ill-prepared for any relationship. They'd be better off to say....'hook-ups' are the way to go and just prepare never to have long-term relationships.

More guys than women on this path?  Yeah, it might be that way....but no one is collecting this type of data to tell a story.  

2 comments:

Bigus Macus said...

Crossing off, never married with several children from different relationships.

LargeMarge said...

Neck tattoos.
Chest tattoos.
Pierced eyebrows.
Thumb ring, toe rings, multiple 'zipper' earrings.
.
.
1994, my buddy's nice son married a looker.
Becky came to the wedding with eighty grand (80,000 fedbux) in unsecured debts.
My first thought -- 'idjit'.
Working two jobs plus his Weekend Warrior obligation, nice son/husband paid off her debt in only four years.
And she promptly dumped him.
.
These days, at about 50yo, he lives alone with a dog.
.
I automatically distrusted Becky, she grimaced a mouth smile, but the attempt at friendliness never reached her eyes.