Sunday 26 July 2020

West Coast of Wasington

For 13 months, I was stationed and lived in the Tacoma area of Washington state in the early 1980s.

For years after I left, I had this 'desire' to return and live there.  I'd call it more of an enchantment than anything else.

First, there was the weather.  It was never truly hot in the summer, or bitter-cold in the winter.  Total snowfall for that period there....just over 1.5 inches. I admit....it rained two-hundred-odd days out of the year (usually a 30-minute passing of showers).

Second, within a six-hour drive, you had probably fifty-different state or national parks/forest areas.  If you just wanted to go to a beach and watch the sun go down....it was the perfect place.

Third, at least in that era of the early 1980s, you could go anywhere in the region and feel fairly safe.  Even downtown Seattle, was this hub of no activity. 

I think a lot of military people passed through the region and felt the same way.  It had charm and character.  It was quiet, and had all this landscape.  Today?  I'm not so sure about the charm or character. 

No comments: