Friday 20 August 2021

'Residents'

 I sat and read a piece this morning, and the topic was....an announcement by a sheriff (up in Wisconsin) that he's going to start using the phrase 'residents' instead of 'inmates'.  He says that it's more human to use the term.

I sat and pondered over this.

Generally, when you use the term residents to me....it usually means folks who stay and live in a 'community'.....long-term.  

Sheriffs tend to run jails....not prisons.  So this is usually where the judge has passed some sentence and you got 30 to 90 days of 'time', and you stay right there in the county jail....NOT some state prison 300 miles away.

Would most guys care for the term being introduced?  I doubt it.  Maybe if it meant an extra muffin, or a private 3-minute shower, or new mattresses being part of the deal....it'd make a difference, but I doubt that you get anything new.

No comments: