Tuesday 28 June 2022

The Only Drag Show I've Ever Attended

 Somewhere in 1984....while stationed at Ramstein Air Base, West Germany....I was a 'regular' at the local NCO club.

We had a fairly profitable operation in those days....with the club manager actually hiring bands for several nights a week, and at least twice a month....bringing in German entertainment.  

So one night, I showed up at the bar and the show for the evening was German 'drag' (German guys dressed up as women).  As I remember the show....it went on for about an hour.....two German guys....a song here and there....a comedy act in the middle, and maybe an audience of sixty people (half were couples out for a drink).  

I mostly sat there in a daze....sipping on my second gin-sour, and noting that no one really cared....they just wanted some light entertainment.  It wasn't a strip show....it was more of a Carol Burnet style of song/dance.

The show wrapped up by 9 PM, and some DJ came on with mostly early 80s garbage.  The crowd thinned out and I headed back to the barracks.  

Anyone being upset?  I think half the military guy crowd was already wasted by 8 PM as the show started....so they didn't care.  Most were just happy that they had a profitable NCO club and got real entertainment every single week.  

If you'd made it into a drag strip show?  I don't think anyone would have stayed to watch.  

No comments: