Friday 19 April 2024

Manifesto People

So I gazed over this story from yesterday....18-year-old high school student....transman....arrested and charged up over plans to shoot up a Montgomery County, Maryland school. 

The key thing in this designed shooting operation?  A129-page manifesto.

I'm often amazed by manifesto people....the folks who write 100...200...300...400...pages of manifesto material.

I can sit and probably write 100 to 150 lines of material, then gradually get 'tired' and end it there.

Looking over this story....18 years old....they will drag this kid into an adult court and I would imagine a deal can be made...admit to X, Y and Z....go off for six years of prison and get out in 5 years. Men's prison?  Well....yeah, that would have to be the 'trick', if you were a trans-guy.

Manifesto people tend to have three major issues....(1) they want to fix the world. (2) Fixing in their mind is complicated.  (3) Violence of some nature tends to be somewhere in the solution.  

Just seems like someone should stand up and tell the manifesto people....go and write whatever you want, but just get to the key statement in three pages, and allow for solving some mess without violence or taxation.  

1 comment:

LargeMarge said...

I worked on My Manifesto for over a half-century.
Every editor, all the publishers, seem to think I'm some sort of weirdo... but if they just devote a few months to reading it, they would understand so much better.
I'm only trying to improve humanity!
Is that so wrong?
[buries sobbing face in pillow]