Tuesday 9 April 2024

My View of the WNBA

 The first game I watched of WNBA (women's basketball) was around 2012 (12 years ago).  It was crappy play....both teams had one decent player each....the camera guys were careful not to show the stands.  I would imagine at best....maybe 5,000 folks in the arena.

Over the past year, I've watched probably six games of the Iowa women's team.  They were sharp....prepared, and the games were thrilling to view.

Based on perception....I think at least four of the national teams are more than capable of playing WNBA teams and most nights....beating them by ten points minimum.

The problem with the WNBA?  They just have never improved.  Each team  markets themselves with one pure star and the rest are just average players.

Attendance average?  5,000 to 8,000 per night.  You figure $30 per ticket (for the lesser seats)....so with 7,000 folks....you might have $210,000 made off tickets, and another $250,000 off drinks, food, and parking.  So a half-million per night.  

You go and pay the arena for heat, security.....then you pay for coaches, travel, hotels, and ref's...there's no doubt on my view.....the NBA has to be funneling a quarter-million each month for each team....to keep them surviving.

2 comments:

LargeMarge said...

Thank you for bringing this up.
.
I spend an entirely inappropriate amount of time at the magazine rack in Wal*Mart.
One cover features a dramatic pose of Caitlin Clark, apparently a basketball player.
.
Going by the facial features, I presumed that is another transvestite, some stud immorally participating in sports engineered exclusively for gals.
Apparently, that individual was born a female.
.
And apparently, Miss Clark has several notable achievements:
* 'signature' shoes
* her very own bobblehead doll
* Presidential candidate nikki haley introducing her prior to a game... as somebody else.

Schnitzel_Republic said...

I won't knock Clark....she plays 'crazy' basketball. After Larry Bird retired, I drifted away from watching the sport. In the last two years, the Denver Nuggets with the 'Joker' has entertained me...dragging me back to viewing the NBA. This season, this Iowa college team with Clark was in their prime.