Thursday 28 January 2021

Exiting Facebook

 Back around 2009, I started a Facebook account but really didn't have any real feeling for it.  There were certain old co-workers that I looked up and found.  There were a few current folks that I signed up as 'friends'.  

But somewhere in 2018, I just started to see Facebook as having marginal or zero value.  They were using me, or my 'friends' as part of some routine to sell something to someone (it was just never clear who that was).

I'd get recommended 'news', which I'd look over and consider to be 90-percent propaganda.  Throughout 2016's election, I saw this over and over. 

Toward spring of 2020.....I just kinda quit reviewing Facebook (maybe one visit every four weeks became the norm).

Around Christmas, I just said 'enough', and by the early part of 2021....I quit (deleting my data as I parted). 

I haven't had any massive urges or felt negative about the act of quitting.  It was not anything really of value.  

I look over the politicization of the past year or two with Facebook, and just kinda laughed.  It was behavior of a 12-year-old kid in running their program, and obviously slanted in some way.  If you wanted me to list a hundred things that we probably don't need anymore (like 8-track tapes, Atlas maps under the car-seat, or CB-radios)....yeah, Facebook would probably be on that list. 

No comments: