Thursday 1 July 2021

Lower Expectations Story

 The New York Times wrote up a piece that suggested 'we' needed to hold VP Harris to a lower standard, in order for her to succeed.

I had to read the piece twice to really grasp the whole landscape to the idea.  

Basically, they are suggesting that she's just not that talented or capable....that we should have known that, and that 'we' all want people to succeed in life.  Well....as long as they are democrats....we want them to succeed (Republicans ought to fail miserably, and admit it).

If you'd asked me in 2018....out of the 100 Senators to rank capability to handle more work, or multi-tasking....I probably would have ranked Kamala Harris in the bottom 25 of the Senate.  

So just in general....should you lower expectations for kids and adults to succeed?  I've had various individuals around me (some were leaders) to suggest this and push this idea.  My general belief....if you mentor and quietly offer advice....people improve and you don't need to lower expectations.  

Another observation I'll make.....if you chose to lower expectations for people....wouldn't you do the same thing for newspapers (like the NY Times) and accept their lower performance as part of a trend for 'success'? Might you do the same thing for CNN, or even the FBI....accepting crappy performance as a norm?  

No comments: