Wednesday 28 February 2024

Emotional Crap

I tried to make sense out of this....the guys who write text-books for schools...advocating that math classes should include some kind therapy that covers social/emotional 'stuff'.

 It was somewhere around the ninth-grade for me....where this math 'crap' got into a dizzy and weird spiral....where five hours a week were wasted covering 15 minutes of math-reality.  Yeah, I began to fall asleep and gaze out the windows at the nearby woods.  

It wasn't until the 10th grade that I got 'relief' (just handed the book) and told advance at your own speed.  I wrapped up the math class halfway through the school-year.

What these guys mean by social and emotional learning?  Unknown.  I read the article, and mostly what I got....you need some kind of therapy when engaged in math quizzes, and that some kids are distraught that numbers mean something.

The problem I see brewing here?  Well....if you think math requires therapy....what about science, English Literature (like that Shakespeare guy), and any American history prior to 1980?  Seems like you'd have to run three hours of therapy a week....getting you socially up to some standard. 

What'll happen by 2030?  After the 7th grade, I suspect most all of your time in high school will be therapy-driven.....with kids admitting they are unable to handle reality (or stress).

No comments: