Friday 28 July 2023

Movie Review: Barbie

 I ended up at a Mainz kino (theater) this week and attempted to watch 'Barbie'.  So I'll make ten observations:

1.  It was a waste of money.  I actually felt silly.

2.  I walked out somewhere around the 50-to-55 minute point.  I've probably done this three times now in my life where the movie just never made sense (last time was around 2012, with 'Jackass').  So I really don't know the end.

3.  Funny?  I'd say it hit some peak in the first to ten minute point.  From that point on.....it seemed like a 'lecture' than entertainment or a comedy.

4.  There were probably forty people in the theater....mostly young women (18 to 25). If you asked me whether some six to ten year old girl would have any interest in the movie....I'd ask 'how'.  Maybe some girls in the 12-to-18 range, and college-age ladies.   Boys?  NO.  Young college guys?  NO.  

5.  I think Barbie will peak at the 10th day, and most people will  have wrapped up the viewing audience.  

6.  Script?  Barbie-land is under a threat, and Ken seems to be a enemy or marginal bad-guy.  I started to imagine that what Barbie-land needed was some Greek hero like Achilles, or some badass guy like Nic Fury (Marvel, Samuel L. Jackson).  

7.  If there ever was a movie where you needed a bit of cannabis prior to viewing?  Yeah, this would be the movie.

8.   Designed as a theme or message or brand?  I just don't get that impression.  Maybe the writers were told that 'something' has to deliver a Barbie brand, and sell the clothing/style.  Maybe the script changed forty times before the production stage?  I left the place wondering how they got this far into the making of it....without anything of real interest.

9.  Will there be a Barbie II?  Maybe this Ken-character could get a re-make, maybe adding a buddy ('Marvin').  

10.  I suspect Barbie-land will be long discussed this summer and some people will state they feel like we live in a fake reality (like Barbie-land).    

No comments: