Wednesday 11 January 2023

The Thing About Podcasts

 Back in 2020....as Covid started up and I didn't go out traveling in central Germany....I started to listen/watch podcasts.  I probably averaged around six podcasts a week....some were for an hour....some for 90 minutes.  

It's a curious habit....it became more interesting than using Netflix or a streaming service, and I found that they started to substitute for what I'd consider regular news.  In fact....several were more competent or developed...than what CNN could offer.  

The added feature....I could get my knowledge level up on climate change, science in general, historical events, and understanding a lot of weird stuff (thanks to Joe Rogan).  

In the past six months?  I'm up to two to three hours a day.....I figure around 15 podcasts a week now.  

The thing that gets me.....cable or regular TV networks can't match up.  The TV networks have become like dinosaurs now, and on a lot of topics.....they just can't openly discuss matters.  You also can't have a product (a show) where some guy can spend three hours asking a lot of intense but insightful questions.  None of the networks will dare sign up to that.   

I'm not saying podcasts are going to destroy the networks.....but I've got a list of twenty-five podcast 'bosses' and I can find something almost daily....that one of them have done....that interests me.  I counted today....probably 4.5 hours spent on three podcasts.  

No comments: