Tuesday 12 September 2023

My Two Walks of Arlington Cemetary

 The first time I ever walked through Arlington....we had a senior NCO of the organization who'd died of cancer (went from office-work to a hospital setting) and was dead about four months later.  This was in the DC region.

Arlington was his choice to be buried.  His problem (not really his after the death)?  To get on their schedule for a service, it takes 6 months.  

So we waited in the organization, and the day of the funeral came up.  We left the office and took the Metro over, and met at the chapel.  

It was probably one of the most impressive days out that I had in DC in that 3.5 year period. A ceremony concluded, and we walked with the casket for about three-quarters of a mile....on a damn-hot day (easily 94 degrees, with 75-percent humidity).  By the time it concluded....mid-afternoon....I was in a heat-distressed situation.  I made my way to a soda-machine and drank a bottle of water and then a Pepsi.

About two months later....I decided to spend eight hours over at the cemetery.  It is a unique place and you simply are amazed at the history laid out.  

My general advice?  Don't attempt to park there....park way on the south side of Arlington, along the Metro, and take the rail over to the cemetery.  Bring along a minimum of 1-liter of beverage.  I'd suggest a combo of Gatorade and water.  Spring or fall months would be recommended.  After you conclude this....if you still have an hour left....walk over the river to the Lincoln Memorial, and conclude near the WW II Memorial. Then ride the Metro back.  If you don't have energy or have a hip problem....forget about it.  It's a challenge but worth it.

1 comment:

Bigus Macus said...

You're right Arlington is a wonderful place to visit (spring and fall). There is so much history there.

I've had several friends buried there. One was a senior Airforce NCO who was part of AF1 staff from almost the beginning. I was a very impressive funeral and burial with full military honors. The other was for a close personal friend who left the Navy as an E4. Here again it was a very impressive funeral.