Thursday 13 April 2023

Leaker Story

 For about two weeks, I've been following this leak of Top Secret material in the US national news.  They have figured out the guy....20s....gamer....fitness fanatic....haven't said if he was Air Force or Army.

What'll happen to him?  Pretty severe consequences if they go to the normal methods of the 1990s.  He'll be doing 20-odd years in prison. 

Having had the clearances in early 1980s....I generally felt some responsibility over doing the 'right-thing'.  Ninty-nine percent of people that I worked around....were that way.  

At some point around 2000....you could tell that individuals were coming into the Air Force, who mentally weren't prepared for the responsibility.  I'm not saying they were reckless or careless.....just that they didn't feel a 'burden'.

The gamer community?  I'd say they were mentally distracted....going to make a momentary irrational decision, without much thought process put into it.  

What the intelligence community ought to do now?  I'd probably huddle....review the people with clearances, and probably bring in people each week to have a chat about their 'burden'.  I'd keep reminding them of consequences.  It's stupid, and a total waste of a Major's man-hours....but there seems to be people more prone to stupidity now....than what existed in the 1980s.  

No comments: