Wednesday, 7 October 2026

Poverty-Enthusiasts

 Over the past ten years, I've come to notice a fair number of politicians/activists/propagandists....who openly brag in some way of having grown up in poverty (sometimes trying to give you the impression of ultra-poverty (if there was such a thing)).  

My German wife reached a point last year...where she suggested I was overly-chatty on growing up in Alabama (1960s/1970s) poverty.

Popular hype now?  I would imagine that thirty-percent of Americans...over the age of fifty....claim some type of poverty.  Some elements might be true.....but it's about half-way fraudulent in nature.

People who bought coffee in the 1970s...probably paid a quarter at best....while today, they stop at some premium shop to pay $4.75 for a XXL-cup of marginal premium coffee.  

Some people will relate how they used to go to the theater....with $7 to get a ticket, medium-Coke, and small pop-corn....while today, they pay around $25 for the same experience.

Some former military folks will openly brag of the days at the enlisted club....$1-pitchers-of-beer on Friday after work....while the same pitcher today....would be $5.99. 

This all brings me to wonder.....the folks who grew in the 1920s/1930s....were they ultra-ultra poverty enthusiasts?

No comments: