I tend to see the Democratic Party in the US.....as being a 8-cylinder vehicle....with three cylinders misfiring....no tune-up in a decade....and a limited amount of fuel in the car in the car anyway, so it's not going far. So this is my list of problems facing them:
1. No real plan over immigration. If anything....some kind of Dream-Act I, which would lead onto Dream-Act II, which would lead onto Dream-Act III, and so on. Even some Democratic voters have figured out this game.
2. No real mid-term path. It's basically an effort to get enough House seats to force impeachment. To be honest, it doesn't sell well in red states or red districts. I would take a wild guess and say that even 20-percent of Democrats are laughing over the lack of a mid-term path.
3. Pelosi. Maybe in the 1990s....she had a brand-name. Today? Less so. They need to move on. Go ask a hundred Democrats in the south, and at least half will say that she's not a positive part of their sales pitch in southern states.
4. Hillary remaining. She's still there and part of the lack of a healing process since 2016.
5. Bernie Sanders remains. Among the far-radical elements of the Democratic voter crowd.....probably one-third of their base.....he's the ballistic missile of the party and carrying their future. But to the other two-thirds....they mostly shake their heads and would prefer to find some Bill Clinton-style guy.
6. The gun control topic. When you go to urban areas like Memphis, Atlanta, and Houston....locals (even Democrats) will tell you that they will only sign up to some marginal solution or repair. The hardline ideas? No. The rest of the nation? It's hard to get any of the red districts to go on this path.
7. Blacks taking the red-pill. Between November 2016 and November 2020....I expect 10-percent of the blacks who voted against Trump to cross the line and either refuse to vote Democrat, or refuse to vote at all. Some are asking questions and the Democratic Party can't really resolve the problems. Is a ten-percent loss of black votes a big deal? No....but it's a bad indicator of a trend over the next decade.
8. Sales package with CNN. Bluntly....the Democrats are hinged to both MSNBC and CNN selling their pitch. As far as I can see....CNN has reached a stage where their prime-time message is marginal. I think CNN still matters with crisis events, but no one really cares to watch an hour-long show each night on evil-Trump matters.
9. The comedians, actors and prominent folks on their anti-Trump agenda. It have been well focused in 2016, but now is laughed off by a majority of people. Go try and imagine this gimmick for eight straight years.
10. Finally, as soon as the election wrapped up....some focus team with the party should have met....discussed their weak points and wrote the theme for 2017/2018. A clear path should have been on everyone's minds. Where is that solutions for the middle-class Democrat? Non-existent? This sole group....working-class Democrats in the rural regions of the nation....almost forgotten for two decades now.