Tuesday 7 May 2019

Water and Cost

I spent several days in Switzerland, and one observation that I came away with....you need to think about prices and what you are asking for....almost every single minute.

I sat in a restaurant and had reviewed the menu to order something 'safe'.  That typically means while in Switzerland, to avoid anything saying 'Tartar' (which means it'll be delivered to the table 'uncooked').

But at some point, being dehydrated, I ordered the beer, and noted that I really needed some water, so I asked the guy.....for a bottle of water.....'still' water, meaning without the bubbles.

So he comes out with this Arkine water bottle.

Later, I'm looking at the receipt, and realize that the water was actually just as expensive as the beer I ordered (around 5.5 SF, meaning around $5 for a bottle of water).  I felt silly (being Alabama where spring-water is typically free).

I will admit, it was fine water, but probably not in the $5 range for a 10-ounce bottle.  Course, maybe it was refreshed and poured from the spring-site by naive innocent virgin ladies. 

No comments: