Sunday 24 December 2023

Just A Fading Memory Now

 One of my favorite episodes from the Covid era (2020-2022) was a visit in mid-2020 to my local German car repair shop.

This was the sign outside the building....which was limiting entry to just 2 customers at a time....so I had plenty of time to analyze it.

They were offering a 49.99 Euro deal (around $58).....they would disinfect your car....killing the crappy Covid 'bugs'.

When I finally got inside....some old lady was asking about the service....she'd just dropped off a friend, and was worried that maybe the friend had Covid.

When the lady left and I came up....I asked the guy bluntly....what was the 'service'.  

Well....it was a misty solution they'd bought....I stopped and asked....so it's a commercial house-cleaner?  

Well....yeah, was his response.  With a fresh-lemon scent....he noted.

I stopped him and asked....isn't this like 2.99 Euro for a full-up bottle?  Well....yeah, he responded.  So I could do the same thing myself and not waste the 49.99 Euro?  Yeah....he grumbled.

They ran this service for several months.  I would imagine at least two or three people a day showed up and asked for the deal.  So in a month, there's probably 120 of these service deals to come up.  

Some smart 12-year old kid could have offered the same type service....for 6.99 Euro.  

No comments: