Friday 29 December 2023

My Interest In Economics

 At some point in the late 1990s....someone I worked with (in the vault business) had been working on a finance-related degree, and brought in a dozen tapes with Milton Friedman.  I agreed to take to take one of the tapes home for the weekend.

In the end, I had watched all of the dozen tapes they had, and over the next year....I probably consumed four books on pure economics.  

If you'd introduced me to Milton Friedman back in 1975 (in high school)?  I might have gone onto some university program....instead of the Air Force

A dull topic?  Oh yeah....but here's the thing....if you make economics into rocket science, it is absolutely crap and boring.  Friedman knew precisely how to relate various topics to the normal guy on the street....continually telling you that it simply wasn't rocket science.

I can sit today and read over agricultural reports, stock market analysis, futures, derivatives, failed banks, and understand the bulk of what is going on.  But here's the odd part of this 'path'....it's after college that I get into this topic, and it's all on a reading/viewing schedule of my own choosing.  Yeah, I've probably near 500 man-hours of my time into it....with no degree earned in the entire process.  

Yeah, just a hobby....more or less. 

No comments: