Friday 28 June 2019

My View of the 2nd Democratic Debate

I'll offer these nine observations:

1.  The more entertaining moment was after Mayor Pete did his explanation over the police-shooting in South Bend....defending his actions....then Swalwell jumped right in to suggest he'd up and fire the police chief right away.  Mayor Pete had a pretty nasty look on his face....as if to say 'Buddy, don't get me deeper into trouble'.

2.  Winner of the night?  Andrew Yang.  Limited exposure, but he gave five-star answers and impressed me.

3.  Weirdest commentary of the evening....some two-minute chat by Mayor Pete on the Republicans and religious groups.

4.  Harris and the 'caged kids'?  They were caged in the Obama era....what'd she do about that?

5.  This talk at some point about moving from regular healthcare to Medicare-for-all?  I don't think it really sold well, and some folks who are happy....won't be happy with this new gimmick.

6.  Winners of the evening?  Yang, Biden, and Hickenlooper.  Bernie and Harris were OK, but didn't seem to have any 'pep'. 

7.  It just seemed to be a series of sound-bytes, and I felt drained out with the format, and ten candidates....by the 50 minute point.

8.  You can probably whittle the group of 21 candidates down to around seven folks at this point.

9.  The only one on the stage that really looked like a statesman.....was Joe Biden.  It was painfully obvious.

So here in the end, the question for me....can I stand another double round of debates at the end of July?  I have my doubts.

No comments: