Monday 2 May 2022

Yeah, About That Dinner

 Last week, I ended up agreeing to a gourmet 8-course dinner for my wife's birthday.  This was at a 'star' restaurant in Bad Hersfeld, Germany.  

So, 'Jorge' (a Spaniard) came out and did the opening remarks, and is apparently a 'wizard' at wine-chatter.  I'll have to admit here.....it wouldn't matter to me if you said this were a 5-Euro a bottle or 99-Euro a bottle wine....to me, they all have the same appeal.

I do credit Jorge.....he spoke enough on the wine to almost bring tears to my eyes.

The first dish was some little plate with three or four finger 'things'....which had some mystery taste to them (better I don't ask what).

Then came another wine.

Then came some bread basket and something like a bean-dip sauce.  

Then came another wine.

We went to two servings, with a wine following....mostly what I'd call snack food (no more than 100 calories on the plate).

Then came the main dish....lamb with some sauce, and some potato item about the size of a golf-ball. I tried to go slow here, but this lamb piece was basically eight 'tiny' pieces (by my standard).

Then came another wine.

Then came desert....basically shot glass of ice cream, some cream, and a tiny muffin thing.  

Yes, followed by another wine.

Just on wine calories.....I did probably come close to 700 calories.  

I'm the wrong guy for this type of treatment.  I would imagine the typical gourmet dinner is supposed to involve a lot of intellectual chatter (I'm prepared to talk about NFL standings, Biden screw-ups, my favorite Marvel character, loch ness sea monster stories, and Scooby Doo mystery episodes).  

On the positive part?  I probably did eat five or six things which would normally gag me, and beg for some quick visit to the bathroom.  It's the third time in my life that I've agreed to something like this.....if I'm lucky.....it'll only come up one more time.  

(Cost?  Lets just say it went beyond $100 per person)

1 comment:

LargeMarge said...

My culinary delights tend toward several hours at a buffet.
I see no need to rush a meal, I see little need to order off a menu.
.
And those midget corn-dogs are best transported in a soup-bowl.