Wednesday 14 February 2024

Food Chatter

 I had to stop in at a airport in the US in the mid-1990s....a four-hour delay to catch the last leg.  

Meal-time came up and I ended up walking into a grill-shop.  The burger-fries plate?  At that point in time....it was around $17.90 for the plate and soda.  If you did the inflation scale today....it'd be around $32.  

Being a E6 at the time....I kinda freaked but realized....there's nothing much on options.  

About 10 years would pass, and I was stuck in NY City overnight, and wanted breakfast (Roosevelt Hotel)....which was to be $32 (included coffee).  Today, that would be near $47.  Yeah, I paid it.  

Today, I was reading a piece  where a California Senator-to-be is talking of a $50 an hour wage scale for burger-flippers.  Doing the math for a BK double-whopper menu dinner (soda included)....I figure it'd cost me around $70 for dinner (figure tax included).

It is to the point where I'd probably only travel with a lunch-box....maybe some cookies and a apple or two....to survive for a trip.


2 comments:

Bigus Macus said...

I used to fly a lot of coast to coast. I always packed a sandwich fruit and snacks. The only thing I bought at the airport was water since I could not bring my own. Reasons, one the airplane meals sucked and two like you said the airport meal cost for everything was unreal.

Schnitzel_Republic said...

My German wife ONLY brings food on flights...never buying at the lounges or eating what the plane folks serve. On the typical 3-hour flight...it makes no difference to me. If this were a 10-hour flight (Frankfurt to Dallas or Frankfurt to Tokyo)...I'd opt for what they serve or buy a huge deli sandwich at the airport.