Thursday 17 August 2023

Why Can't Hollywood or Disney Produce Anything Today 'Original'?

 This is one of those forty topics that revolve around my head each week.  

If you asked me about quality movies worth watching from the 2020 era to today....there's probably fewer than ten movies that I'd recommend.  The other 500 productions?  Marginally worth the effort, or a total failure.

So I have three observations here:

1.  I think most producers/studios want mega-hit 'wonders'....where you spent $150-million and made more than $500-million upon release.  So once you have that 'wonder'.....your mental side says....don't risk nothing, just make version II, III and IV.

2.  The studios want films that 15-to-25 year olds generally rank 'high' because they will attend.  In their mind, the script is marginally important......you just need the face.

3.  Inventing anything new?  Risk is involved.  No one wants to produce something like 1940's Philadelphia Story, or 1956's King and I, or 1959's North By Northwest.

Lot of crap?  That's the curious thing.  A lot of the younger generation of today haven't watched anything from prior 2000.  

No comments: