Thursday 26 October 2023

How I Paid For 2 x Bachelor Degrees/3 Associate Degrees Via The Air Force

 Starting in early 1980, at the 2-year point of service....I signed up and accomplished ten classes in one year....with the AF paying 75-percent of tuition.  

Moving to another base (Louisiana) in summer of 1981....I went on to do 15 courses, with them paying 75-percent of the tuition.

At this same time period, someone sat down and explained CLEP/Dantes tests....so I signed up for one test every two weeks over a 1-year period.  I passed a dozen of these....adding up to something like 40 total SH/credits (roughly one year of college)....free of charge.  The AF paid for the tests.

Finally, transferring to Germany, I signed up for dozen classes over a two-year period.  The AF at this point....decided to up the tuition coverage....90-percent.  

So I went back to the three colleges (one being a community college) and the Air Force Community....getting the credits sorted out.  

Total expenditure on my part?  I would guess with books included?  $7,500.  

The deal today via the Air Force?  Well....$4,500 a year max, and a max of $250 per Semester Hour to be paid out ($750 per class).  Yeah, for a full blown college class, it's six classes a year max.  You would do better only taking community college classes, with their current deal (cheaper rate).  

No comments: